Orbitz recently launched OrbitzTLC, which includes OrbitzTLC Alerts. These alerts are exclusive to the Orbitz customer, and contain travel information from a one-of-a-kind team of Orbitz travel experts. OrbitzTLC Alerts update customers on real-time events that could affect their travel plans before they leave or while they're on the go. Orbitz's goal is to help avoid these potential problems so there are no surprises on the trip.
Alerts can be sent via mobile phone, PDA or email so travelers have the most up-to-the-minute travel information no matter where they are.
Through Orbitz's advertising agency, Y&R Chicago, Sixteen30 was brought in to develop and execute a mobile program for OrbitzTLC Alerts.
- Experientially engage consumers to try the OrbitzTLC Alerts via a short code and mobile SMS texting
- Broadly introduce OrbitzTLC Alerts to generate trial and awareness among the Orbitz consumer target market
- Develop incentive for customers who respond to the ad to receive a sample of OrbitzTLC Alerts
- Engage consumers to think about Orbitz before point-of-travel purchase
- Leverage existing "game show" campaign equity
- Opportunity to drive dynamic packaging transactions
- Accelerate production timing
- Create, approve, produce, and air spot within less than 30 days; Sixteen30 to support.
- Radio was used as best medium to “touch” customers before point of booking
- Offered dollars off an Orbitz travel package to incent customers to sample OrbitzTLC Alerts
- Provided customers option of receiving additional text messages from OrbitzTLC via Sixteen30
- Response expectations were set very low, yet first day on air, received hundreds of text requests for promo code offer and further Orbitz messaging
- After two weeks, response rate was much higher than expected
- A significant number of respondents requested to be opted-in to receiving additional promotional messaging from Orbitz
- Orbitz wants to use a short code and mobile technology to market directly to consumers in the future
- CTIA Mobile Commerce Bulletin. Read More
- Industry Best Practices (pdf)
- Industry Advertising Guidelines (pdf)
Find a Partner
Need connectivity? Help with creating your CSC program? Let us help. Learn How
Find a Short Code
Enter your favorite name or number: